Thursday, January 1, 2009

Missing Midnight

Maybe it's much too early in the game
Ooh, but I thought I'd ask you just the same
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's eve?
........... words & music by Frank Loesser

My, my -- I thought this year -- there have been quite a few New Year's eves gone by. I don't recall too many from my childhood. One though: I was maybe 10 or 11 when I was left to babysit for my younger brother. I'm sure it was New Year's eve. My parents and grandparents had gone out. I don't know where my older brother was. I just remember sitting on the couch, looking out the window and watching the snow fall. It was a beautiful snowfall. I know I didn't mind being there. I remember when I was in high school, I'd stay home on New Year's eve. But my friends would show up at around midnight to see in the New Year with me. My mom and I would make them breakfast. One year I had a date (I don't recall whom with) and we went into Manhattan to see a movie and watch the ball drop. When we came out of the theatre in Times Square it was bedlam. My date vanished into the crowd. I have never coped well with crowds, so I beat it down to the subway and went home. I found my date sitting on my porch steps. Duh! After that, I pretty much told my friends that I'd be home on New Year's eve. Even in college -- folks who were in NYC for the holidays would shlep out to Brooklyn to sing around our piano. My parents would always come home early from wherever they went for the evening so that they wouldn't miss the "party." A bunch of theatre students -- there was always someone who could "really" play piano, and people like Ellen Travolta and Lloyd Battista who could sing and entertain any crowd. In the early hours of New Year's morning, my Dad would wake me up and we'd drive to Coney Island for Nathan's hotdogs and Shatzkin's knishes which we'd eat on the boardwalk while we watched the "Brownies" club members go for their New Year's day swim in the cold Atlantic. After I'd graduated school and married and moved away, folks continued to show up at my mom's door and spend some New Year's eve time reminiscing.

During the Pittsburgh years, my husband and I would host a little New Year's eve party. Always a small gathering with some close friends. My dear friend Mary and her hubby Ray would have an open house party right next door. So there was friendly visiting back and forth. And at midnight, we'd meet on the shared porch of our two rentals, to toast the New Year in together. The early years in Massachusetts in the Corning Street house brought all kinds of new traditions. One of the best was our Victorian New Year's Eve. I asked the friends we invited to come dressed as they would have been during that era. I remember we borrowed little tables and chairs and turned our living room into a Victorian restaurant. All of the dishes served were from that era. Friends even came from out of state. It was a charming evening, lit only by candle light.

During the Acting Place years, the actors and students from the Place would show up; we'd read fortunes in the fireplace and throw the Tarot cards
. For years this became a happy way to spend the night. When I moved into Boston, my friends continued to arrive for our "magical" New Year's eve. Ouija boards; spirit writing; past-life regressions; seances. We had a terrific time. Occasionally my step-father would overnight a "do-it-yourself crepe suzette kit." It made a lovely breakfast!

People go their own way. Living in New Jersey didn't attract any comers for the holiday. And since my return, my circle of loved ones is far flung and miles wide. But usually, there's a good movie, some time with the little ones, and a glass of Prosecco while watching the ball drop on the TV. HOWEVER, last night I curled up on my bed with my mulled wine and turned on a show to watch until the midnight event. We'd had a snow storm, and the temperature had dropped to single digits after the snow stopped falling.  So any plans to go out were pretty much parked.  So I turned to the TV for the evenings event.  The next thing I knew, I was waking up and it was 4:00 a.m. I had slept through midnight!!! That was a first. And hopefully NOT to be repeated. I felt terribly old farty having missed midnight!

I wish you a joyous 2009 filled with good health and excellent surprises!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New year....It's fun catching up on all these bloggs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Mickey: