Saturday, November 6, 2010

Notes from the Ice Floe

I rather expect that the repugnant custom in times of distress of putting old folks out on a sheet of ice to die is no longer practiced. (Given the atrocities human beings still commit upon each other in greed and rage, it wouldn't be so much a surprise if senicide still exists.) Of course I'm using it as a metaphor. Because people of a certain age (a changeable number for sure, depending on who's talking) are often put on ice as it were. I've experienced it in the job (or jobless) market. Here, one can doctor one's resume and leave off all numbers. In the interview, one needs also to avoid discussing the ages of one's kids or mention grandkids. One also has to spend a good deal of energy to avoid looking anything over sixty. None of this easy. Wear gloves!

So where does it not matter, one's age? In the Arts, you say. Actors of a certain age, especially women, will tell you that unless you're already a star the rare role will be reserved for that performer who is a star. Directors, writers, musicians, visual artists -- if you have made it you're set. No one doubts your talents or your mental powers or your creative prowess. If, however, you're still striving or starting out be prepared to be perceived as old. With all the negative attributes relegated to old age. A number of years ago there was a foundation that gave fellowships to women over 55 years of age for proposals of creative projects. It was very competitive, of course. I entered often. And although I never won, it was a possibility. A great many artistic competitions are designated for "early career" artists. Why can't an "early career" begin a bit late? I went to the film festival when my screenplay was a finalist. It would have been difficult there to find a participant or staff member over the age of thirty. I was the anomaly.

I suppose there is a judgment factor: if you haven't made it by now you never will! So what does this made it mean? New York Times best seller list? Broadway production? Symphony Hall? Paintings selling for over-the-top prices? Universal name recognition? And why is it ever too late? Oh, and the other weird situation I've experienced: if I were, for example, a Broadway director and offered to direct at a community theater, it would be a coup. If I come in with a solid resume of experience in regionals, it is scary. If my plays were published by a traditional publisher, that's something. If published by an unknown quantity: not so much. HOWEVER, if you can find my books on Amazon -- aha! that's something else!

I am probably ranting which wasn't my intention. I am finding it difficult to find even folks of my own age who believe in limitless possibilities. And I know that time is indeed a factor. More so than ever. But in my silly head I keep hearing Stephen Sondheim in that fabulous radio interview on his 80th birthday: "In my mind I am sixteen and I have promise." Me, too.


3 comments:

  1. Mickey, I've always admired people--particularly women--such as yourself who have always had a passion coupled with a dream and who never let go. In my mind, you "made it" a long time ago.

    Your last paragraph says it all. Keep pushing and dreaming, and know how lucky you are for believing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava! Your words are beautiful. I've always been a great fan of your work. I can not wait to see your reading. I promise you, my success (and it's coming) shall be your success.

    However, I never think of you as a 'certain age'. You are a just Mickey, fearless artist.

    Love, Mickey (Boy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My spiritual teacher, Shri Dhyanyogi Madhusudandasji, lived to the age of 116, and when he was in his 90s and early 100s he walked so fast that young people had to run to keep up with him. Another one of my spiritual role models is Peace Pilgrim (born Mildred Lisette Norman), an American woman who experienced a profound spiritual awakening in mid-life, and who subsequently proceeded to walk over 25,000 miles for peace, criss-crossing the United States on foot with no possessions except the clothes on her back, until her death (automobile accident; she was in perfect physical and mental health at the time of her passing) at almost 73 years of age. And a third role model of mine is Jack LaLanne - I remember watching his exercise show on TV when I was about 4 or 5 years old ... and today, Jack is 96 years old and in better physical condition than many.

    What do my three senior role models have in common? In a word, love. Jack LaLanne loves living a life of physical fitness. Peace Pilgrim loved giving her life for the cause of peace. And Shri Dhyanyogi Madhusudandasji loved God.

    We're all getting older. We can't stop the clock. But as a gifted senior named Albert Einstein loved to point out, time is a relative thing.

    We can choose. We can choose where to put our attention. We can choose what to think about.
    We can choose what to value. And, most importantly, we can choose what to let go.

    Something I composed for one of my recent Facebook status updates sums up my feelings on living in a world of time:

    The past is built on bricks of guilt.
    The future's built on bricks of fear.
    The present's built on bricks of love -
    - that's where I live - the now and here.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Mickey: