Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 31 2013

It is the last day of 2013.  A bright, cold morning.  The telephone rang at 7:30 a.m.  I don't usually answer it at that hour if I don't recognize the caller - I don't have a voice before coffee. 
But I did - somehow knowing the "unknown caller."   He's phoned me between Christmas and New Year's Day for 37 years.  Once a year.  He never forgets.  A phone call is so intimate - more so since texting and email and social networks.  His voice is honest and carries us across "the pond" and across the years.  It's strange - not only because we haven't seen each other for 37 years, but because we were only together for two weeks.  Really; one week in 1976 and one week in 1977.  Our conversation is inquiry:  how are you? what have you been doing? do you have snow this year? and so on. Five minutes - maybe six.  And when we hang up I pour my coffee and sit with my warming cup showing myself a movie in my mind.  





This is only my second posting this ending year.  I've no explanation for it - perhaps I've been lacking words.  The year did not lack happenings.  I attended three funerals and there were tears.  I attended my granddaughters' fabulous show in California and there was applause.  I searched for employment and there was disappointment.  I started a little on-line shop and there was promise.  My daughter was taken ill and spent seven weeks in hospital; my little granddaughter stayed with me.  Heartache and joy.  Children teach us so much.  My actor son was in the neighborhood performing - an autumn bonus for us all.  

It is time again to find the words. My words.  There are unfinished plays and screenplays.  There are empty days and absent friends.  And there isn't time for self-pity or self-denial or any such hindrance or distress.  Not at my age - or any age.  So I absorb the warmth of the voice on the phone and go forward.  I care about so many people with whom I share history.  Best way to put it - we "get" each other.  And our souls are eternally connected through love. 
Chances are - since you're reading this - you are one of those souls.  

A bright, cold day.  A fine day for renewal, reawakening, satori.  I wish you the happiest new year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for Mickey: